Rank: Lance Sergeant
Service No: 6914227
Date of Death: 16/05/1944
Regiment/Service: Rifle Brigade 10th (2nd Bn. The Tower Hamlets Rifles) Bn.
Grave Reference II. J. 9.
Cemetery CASSINO WAR CEMETERY
James Lucas’ gravestone in Cassino War Cemetery Italy
James is buried in the Cassino War Cemetery in Italy. During the early months of 1944, Cassino saw some of the fiercest fighting of the Italian campaign, the town itself and the dominating Monastery Hill proving the most stubborn obstacles encountered in the allied advance towards Rome. The majority of those buried in the war cemetery died in the battles during these months
Son of Robert and Amanda Harriet Lucas; husband of Gladys May Lucas, of Walthamstow, Essex.
In 1939 the Lucas Family were living at no. 101 Hindle House:
1. Robert Lucas (Builders Labourer)
2. Amanda Lucas (Forewoman in a fruit preserving factory)
3. Joy R Lucas (Berry) (Lady Messenger)
4. S A Lucas (Tailors Dresser)
5. Harry T Lucas (Junior Clerk)
6. Alfred E Lucas (Schoolboy)
8. Edmund Linard (Lorry Driver)
So there were 9 people registered at no. 101. in 1939, but James was not registerd there.
- Photograph by Frank De Planta taken May 2014.
- 1939 Census